If you are looking for an adventure that will take you out of your comfort zone, and allows you to truly experience the ice then this is the trip for you. The Glacier Extreme trip from Skaftafell is without a doubt the ultimate glacier exploration with an added emphasis on ice climbing.
- Small group experience
- Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajokull
- Falljokull Glacier
- Ice climbing
- Glacier hiking
Meeting location: Glacier Guides booking house in Skaftafell (next to the Visitor Center) 30 min. prior to departure.
Bring with you: Warm clothing and sturdy hiking boots (can also be rented). See full equipment list here below.
Note： For all of our glacier tours Glacier Guides will provide guests with crampons for walking on the ice, helmets and ice axes. Waterproof clothing and hiking boots are available for rent. In Skaftafell we do have many of the items below for sale in our booking center.
If you are looking for a tour where you can combine glacier exploration with doing something active like ice climbing then this is the tour for you! We keep the group size small (maximum 5 participants per guide) in order to ensure a more personal experience, enabling us to take you to these unique, hard to reach places on the glacier and make sure that you get to do plenty of ice climbing whilst on the tour. This tour can be as extreme as you would like it to be and we put great value to tailoring it to your abilities. Please note that you do not need to have any prior ice climbing experience to be able to participate in this tour.
Your Glacier Xtreme tour departs from Glacier Guides Booking Hut, located in Skaftafell National Park along with our other groups. The drive from Skaftafell to the glacier is about 15 minutes and on the way you can enjoy the beautiful landscape and surrounding of the Skaftafell area. Upon arrival to the edge of the glacier, you will split off into your intimate group of 5 and make your way to Falljokull Glacier with your certified glacier guide. Gearing up at the front of the glacier along with receiving a safety briefing from your guide is quick when you are in a small group. Along the way to our ice-climbing locations, you will see all that this falling glacier has to offer. Your guide will pick the ice climbing spots based on the group's ability and requests. Once the guide has found the perfect spots, he/she will set up the relative gear for the climbing and then the group can take their turns. Testing out their ice climbing skills one by one. At the end of the day, everyone’s forearms should be well pumped! Your adventure day tour will then end with a drop off back to Skaftafell National Park.
Please note that the glacier hikes range from 3 hours to 7 hours so depending on the length of your tour you may be able to get away without some of the things on this list.
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
- Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
click to enlarge
Disclaimer: All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Glacier Guides does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.