This activity tour takes you safely with an expert glacier guide among the crevasses and glacier sculptures of Svínafellsjökull, a glacial tongue from Vatnajokull, in Skaftafell nature reserve.
- Easy glacier walk
- Svínafellsjökull Glacier Tongue
- Vatnajokull National Park
- Guided glacier hike with a certified Glacier Guide
Looking for a short but fun glacier hike on Vatnajökull glacier? Have a look at our Glacier Wonders tour.
Meeting point: Glacier Guides booking house in Skaftafell.
Included: Crampons, helmet, axe and other necessary glacier gear. Safely guided tour of Svinafellsjökull glacier with a certified Glacier Guide, exciting and informative.
Bring with you: Warm outdoor clothing, waterproof jacket & pants, sturdy hiking boots, head-wear and gloves.
Note that you can rent hiking boots, waterproof jacket and waterproof pants in the booking process.
Remember to accept cookies for booking engine to work.
Your tour will start at our booking office in Skaftafell. Your knowledgable guide will take you to Svínafellsjökull an outlet glacier from Vatnajökull, Europe's largest glacier. The drive is a stunning one and as soon as the car stops you'll know you are in for an exciting day. In front of you in Svínafellsjökull glacier. The name would translate pig hill glacier but there are actually no pigs around, only intensly beautiful nature and the glacier, our playground for the day.
We will need to put on crampons to stay sturdy on the glacier and they are provided on the tour. It's best to wear hiking boots, the crampons work the best on them.
Take time to enjoy the majestic sourrounding and the magic that fills the air as you step on to experince the great power of a living glacier.
The hike it a fairly easy walk and your guide will read the group and go at your pace. Your guide will tell you stories and information along the way and make stops at all the best locations to make sure your experince will be a truly unforgettable one.
The hike is about 2 hours giving you plenty of time to take in the glacier glory.
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
- Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
click to enlarge
Disclaimer: You need to be in a reasonable good health to participate in this tour.