This half-day glacier hiking tour from Skaftafell National Park offers you the chance to explore all that Icelandic glaciers have to offer in just 5 hours. Experience first hand the cascading ice fall of Falljökul Glacier (Falling Glacier) crashing down from the mighty Vatnajökull ice cap.
- Small group guarantee
- Skaftafell Nature Reserve
- Vatnajokull Glacier, Europe's largest glacier
- Falljökull Glacier
- Virkisjökull view
- Guided glacier hike
- Certified glacier guide
- Learn about glaciers from a knowledgeable guide
Meeting point: We will meet you at the Glacier Guides Booking Center in Skaftafell, see a map with directions below.
Included: A fully guided glacier hike on Falljökull Glacier with a certified glacier guide. All specialized glacier gear is provided including crampons, helmet and axe. Our guides will provide a safety briefing so you will feel confident on the glacier.
Distance: The glacier hike itself is approx. 8 km.
Bring with you: Warm outdoor clothing, waterproof jacket & pants, sturdy hiking boots, head-wear and gloves. You can rent hiking boots, a waterproof jacket and waterproof pants in the booking process. Please see a more detailed equipment list below.
BOOK WITH 10% DEPOSIT
Worried that your travel plans might change? Book your tour more than 21 days in advance with a 10% deposit & pay the rest 14 days before departure. Alternatively, you can pay full price and get a 5% early bird discount! Choose the deposit or full payment option in the third step of your checkout.
Note： For all of our glacier tours, Glacier Guides will provide guests with necessary glacier safety gear, including crampons for walking on the ice, helmets and ice axes. Please note that the smallest set of crampons available fits EUR shoe size 35. Waterproof clothing and hiking boots are available for rent at the Glacier Guides Booking Center and bookable along with your tour (recommended). We also have many of the items for sale in our booking center.
Your glacier adventure starts at the Glacier Guides Booking Hut located next to the visitor center in Skaftafell National Park, by the south coast of Iceland. We start the preparation for our glacier walk by collecting and putting on the necessary glacier gear. Once everyone is prepared, we jump on our bus which will take us on a 15-minute scenic ride towards Falljökull Glacier (e. Falling Glacier), a stunning glacier outlet of Vatnajokull, Europe's largest glacier.
From there your certified glacier guide will accompany you along a winding path through an ever-changing landscape carved out by the glacier before you will arrive at the tongue of the glacier where you will receive a safety briefing from your guide and finish strapping on your crampons for an exciting glacier adventure.
As we reach the edge of Falljokull glacier, we head up towards the incredible icefall to explore the unique world of the glacier. With your certified glacier guide leading the way you will soon be exploring the dramatic terrain, walking through a wonderland of frozen ice formations, ice sculptures and brilliant blue colors. During this tour, you will have plenty of time to take in the vast panoramic views of the surrounding mountains as you make your way through the glacier labyrinth of the rugged and majestic icefall.
This trip provides an extensive glacier experience with plenty of photo opportunities and the chance to gain a thorough understanding of this magnificent glacier, how it's formed and how it continues to change shape every day. It's truly a unique experience and we are lucky enough to have the chance to explore it.
We think that everyone should have a glacier hike on their bucket list and this is your chance to check it off your list!
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk). Please note that you must have at least a size EUR 35. The smallest set of crampons fit a size 35 EUR and crampons are necessary for the glacier hike.
- Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
Looking for an easier and shorter hike? Have a look at our Glacier Wonders tour.
Would you like to try glacier hiking and ice climbing? Check out the Glacier Xtreme tour.
click to enlarge
Disclaimer: All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Glacier Guides does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.